Sunday, October 31, 2010

Faith and Healing. Do you dare to question God?

There comes a point in the life of those who suffer from chronic pain or illnesses where you begin to question God. Why do I have to endure this constant trial while others around me can enjoy good health? You wonder if God is punishing you for past iniquity or has God just abandoned you? Does God heal those whose faith remains strong through the tribulations of life and then turn a quiet ear to those whose faith falters under the habitual struggle that preys upon the mind and body of those with chronic pain. And you know in your heart that our Lord is a loving God who doesn’t want you to languish and your place is not to question, but even though you try not to, you just can’t help asking the ultimate question; “Why me?”

Speaking with a voice of one who has suffered for over 25 years, I can tell you that my faith has vacillated from strong and lifted up to dangling precariously over the precipice. As I cry out to our Lord for healing and restoration and then nothing improves, I find myself doubting the strength of my faith. Would God heal me, once and for all, if I only had the amount of faith that could move a pebble? And when I find myself weary of my own questions and exhausted from the fusion of rejection, worry, and self-doubt, I come to the Father on my knees and ask forgiveness. He is there, with open arms awaiting my return and I find myself comforted in His embrace, His love, and His benevolence. It’s called grace.


God hears our cries and He answers prayers. Our prayer has to be in alignment with His will for our lives and if it is, He will grant our deepest desires and wishes. His plan for our lives is higher than we can see. But there are times when we are reading the Bible, desperately trying to understand just what His perfect will is for our lives, when we have an epiphany that stops us in utter amazement and we know just what God is trying to tell us.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  
2 Corinthians 12:9


No comments:

Post a Comment