Thursday, November 11, 2010

MRI's and X-Rays Tell a Story of their Own!




 


4 level involvement seen on MRI


This cervical x-ray and MRI was taken when I started to experience numbness along with chronic pain. I was only 28 years old when the evidence of spinal degenerative disease was already advancing. After careful consultation with several physicians, a decision was made to go ahead with my first cervical fusion. As the day of surgery approached, I decided that I would rather live with pain than go ahead with such a drastic surgical procedure and I cancelled the surgery. I continued with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles necessary to support the cervical column and everything seemed to be improving. In 1993 my condition took a serious turn. The numbness progressed down my left arm to the point where I started to lose function and the muscles began to atrophy, so against all my fears I went ahead with the surgery.


Titanium Plate with 6 screws post

I was placed in a denison brace for 3 months. You can only imagine how uncomfortable this torture device is! And my pain only increased after the surgery, followed by vertigo and disorientation! After suffering damage to the glossopharyngeal nerve, I had to learn how to swallow again. Everything ricocheted out of my mouth and the only good thing that came from this was that I lost some needed weight.


4 months in a denison brace

 
 



After suffering with increased pain for another couple of years, my surgeon determined that the fusion did not heal properly. To correct the fibrous union, I had a C3-C6 posterior fusion with bone grafting. That should have decreased my pain, but it increased again! But at least this time, I had a philadelphia collar instead of a denison!

 


Anterior C3-C6 Fusion with bone grafting and plating


10 to 15 years after a fusion, the level below the fusion begins to deteriorate. Why is this something that is never discussed at the time of surgery? You can't continue to operate and there is no such thing as a total spine replacement for those who suffer with spinal degenerative disease, so you find yourself regulated to a lifetime of chronic pain.


And just to make life more challenging, spinal degenerative disease does not confine itself to one portion of the spine. Before long, the thoracic and lumbar spine are involved which accounts for two more surgeries, loss of gainful employment, and disability. 



But there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just after the darkness of the night, comes the light of the morning. A new day, another chance, a day of restoration. As all those who suffer with chronic pain know, there is a point where you have to make a choice; to give up or to go on. And with God, all things are possible. Life is worth living. And yes, we can live with our chronic pain, holding onto the hope that tomorrow may bring a day without pain!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Marie,

    W-O-W!!! Those are some absolutely amazing MRI's, and surgeries you have endured. My heart is overflowing with empathy for you as I saw each picture, and read your expressive words of what you have gone through.

    Can you tell me btw how you got MRI's onto your blog?? They are an absolutely FANTASTIC way for others to learn from, and for those that do not understand the anatomy of the spine, and surrounding structures, to be taught what exactly the spine looks like for one, and then to see the pathologies---well it is amazing!!

    I am so glad that we have crossed paths, and found each other in this crazy web-land. I am so encouraged by other chronic pain sufferers, have you noticed that we tend to focus on the facts, tell our story, and truly listen to each others', in turn being able to give pure love and empathy to each other....we, as a Chronic Pain Community, tend towards POSITIVE talk, chats, and letters to fellow CP patients.

    The deep relationship with God, (or what anyone believes as a Higher Power,) is so important and keeps us going through the really, really dark and hard pain times. Are you familiar with the site http://chronicillnesssupport.wordpress.com/?

    This is the ministry of Lisa Copen, I know you'd love it, she is the founder of 'Invisible Illness Awareness Week'. A true angel.

    Putting your blog on my blogroll under Chronic Illness/Pain Blogs...

    Yikes, now it's Thanksgiving! Hope your day is full of love.

    Gentle Hugs---<3
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shauna,
    I took my digital camara and just took pics of my MRI's and x-rays and transfered them to my computer. I never dreamed it would work, but it did! Yes, I stumbled upon Lisa Copen about 2 months ago and even follow her on twitter. I too am so thankful that I found you on the web. We have so much in common! I too spent years in nursing and performing ultrasounds for a reproductive endocrinologist before I went into healthcare adminisration. I worked in medicine for over 30 years before chronic pain made continuing impossible. I am following your progress closely and I am praying that the pump works for you. I do believe that God has a way of putting souls together, to comfort, share, encourage, and offer love. I am glad I found you and may God Bless you and give you a peaceful day. Hugs to you!
    Marien

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this information. I'm about to undergo my 2nd cervical fusion and then immediately to follow with my 2nd lumbar surgery. I feel so very lost. I'm worried as I have a good job now and I'm afraid with having back-to-back surgeries I will lose my job not to mention the thought of disability makes me cringe! I stay in severe pain all the time! As of right now I have confirmed severe degenerative disc disease with a lumbar disc displacement, bulge and ruptured discs. Just received my CD on the MRI done last week on the cervical region and it shows one of the screws displaced not to mention 2 levels of disc displacement as well. I'm really scared and praying God gives me the answer as to whether or not to even undergo these surgeries. Right now I have loss of bladder control and only sudden urges of bowel. I feel so hopeless at times! It's like nobody understands. Thank you for the information you have shared. It is greatly appreciated.

    Many blessings!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete